Saturday, May 5, 2018

walking to school in the desert

Dream 1

I was probably out in the parking lot of a mall. It was night. I had probably met someone here to pick them up.

I met the person. The person was possibly a man. We may have been walking to my vehicle, which may have been a big, black SUV.

But along the way the person needed to pick up a bike. Apparently the person was going to ride part or all of the way to wherever they were going next. We stopped in front of a station where people could rent bikes. The person possibly paid a machine and then got to rent a bike.

But the bike the person got was really weird. All the bikes may have been weird. It was like the bikes were all hooked to poles like seesaw panels. The person got on the bike. That action, I think, pushed the seesaw pole down to the ground. The person could now pull the bike off the pole. It was like the bottom of the bike was a square tube that slid around the pole.

The person tried to pull the bike off the tube. But it was really hard for the person to do so. I may at this point have noticed that the bike had no wheels. Its "handlebars" were also a wheel-like object, like on a Sit 'n Spin toy.



The person may apologetically have said how hard it was to manage this bike. I could tell. The bike was heavy and awkward and had no wheels. But I also started to wonder how I was supposed to fit this bike into my car. I assumed I could put it in the back. But it was so big and clunky, I wasn't sure it would fit back there.

Now the person may have been my sister. We had driven out to some parking lot in a landscape of red sandstone. It may now have been morning or daytime. I was probably dropping my sister off at some school.

We got out of the car and walked away from the parking lot and down a road on a slope. At the bottom of the slope the sandstone went up on either side of the road in ten-meter-tall cliffs.

I looked over my shoulder, thinking of my car. I told my sister that I'd have to bring her her bike later. There was no way I could go back for it. We needed to get her to school. So I'd either drive it over to her while I was between errands or carry it and walk it over to her at some point during the day. But I still couldn't quite figure out how or when my sister would use the bike.

We walked along a desert highway. As we went up a slight slope, the shoulder of the road was blocked by a cliff of orange, powdery material on our right. We couldn't walk in the road because so many cars were coming down it. So we had to edge our way between the cliff and the white line at the road's edge, like we were toeing a ledge of a steep cliff.

I led the way. I kept trying to look back to my sister. But at this point my vision was really weird. I felt dizzy and disoriented. My head felt heavy. I could only look at the ground. And I couldn't even see the ground very well. I would force myself to turn my head back to look for my sister. But I couldn't see her anyway.

We got past the tight squeeze in the road and walked a ways up and over the rest of the slope. We were now back up on a concrete path, with a bit of lawn or wild grass separating us and the road.

We approached an intersection. The roads were really wide here -- maybe absurdly wide -- so that it felt like the intersection was 100 meters wide, going caddy corner. But caddy corner from us was a shopping center. This was the first sign of a city we'd seen since parking.

I knew that we had to keep on going straight along this road, the same direction we'd already been walking. We'd pass the shopping center. Then there would be more empty, desert space. And then there would be my sister's school. At this point I may have wondered why I couldn't have just driven my sister straight to the school.

No comments:

Post a Comment